My Cat Keeps Me Up All Night, What Should I Do?
by BELPRO_OFFICIAL on Aug 13, 2021
For all the nights that your cat keeps you up all night long, you must be thinking if you should kill your cat(I know this ego keeps coming up in your mind). However, if you want your cat to allow you to sleep through the night(Without killing your cat), you need to reset their body clock and stick to the schedule like yours. And there are a couple of essential things you need to know before you can fix their schedule:
Established a daily rhythm throughout the day that helps keep your cat's body going.
- Remember something if you allow your cats to graze all day long to let them eat whenever they want to eat. Not only do you not have a chance of affecting their behavior even a little bit, but you're not allowing their body to process food naturally.
- If you feed your cats like they are in the buffet, you should make it stop NOW.
- You want to have control of your cats and make their energy predictable to you.
It would help if you changed your cat's mealtime schedule progressively.
- If you don't want to encourage bad behavior, you need to make the change slowly.
- You can still keep the dry food out, but you just put less and less in there day by day. By the end of the first week, there is no more food in their feeding bowl. By doing this, they don't feel like missing anything(You are safe to go on the next step at this point).
An hour after you leave for work, they've polished it off, and now they're waiting for a meal. Now here's a rule of thumb:
- You're feeding three meals a day, and then your cat's energy is coming up to meet those meal times.
- Within a week or two of instituting this mealtime, your cat's energy will come up to meet your schedule.
Last but not least, you can try to get them to go to sleep when you do.
- Let's say your bedtime is 11 o'clock. You should feed their last meal at 9:30.
- Before feeding them the last meal, you have to have playtimewith them and trie them out(You can tell when they poop out).
- Let them calm down for a second and feed their last meal of the day.
After doing all the above, one last part is the most essential part in this whole article: Ignore them while you are at your bedtime. You can picture this: It's 3 a.m., your cat comes up to your bed and drives you crazy. You just going to ignore them and don't get up, feed them, walk around, go to the bathroom, and come back again. This is hard, but you have to stick to our plan and ignore them completely. This will finally pay off in a week or two since your cat will not get any attention from you at your bedtime. They will know and find no interest in you at your bedtime because they know nothing will happen. At this point, you should have a good night's sleep for the rest of your life :)!