9 Foods That Are Toxic To Your Dog

It's crucial to give your dog healthy food, but it's even more important to know what human foods you should never feed them. In this article, we will introduce nine types of food that are toxic to your dog.

 

  1. Avocado.

 

Avocado is very healthy for the human body because it has omega fatty acids. However, it also contains a toxin that does not affect humans, but it can wreak havoc on your dog’s lungs and chest. Every part of avocado contains the same toxin and should be kept away from your dog. If your dog eats it, there are high chances that fluids will accumulate in its chest and lungs. This fluid accumulation makes it hard for your dog to breathe, causing oxygen deprivation and eventual death. The complications arising from this are often fatal. So, every time you reach for an avocado, make sure it's away from your fur babies.

 

  1. Chocolate.

 

The smell of sugar in chocolate could be attractive to your dog but bear in mind to never feed them chocolate. Chocolate contains chemicals that are difficult for dogs to metabolize. They can cause diarrhea, stomach pain, and vomiting. And if you are not careful enough, it will lead to dehydration. While the severity of side effects will depend on your dog’s size and the amount of chocolate they consume, experts say that even as little as 20 milligrams per body weight can be dangerous. Side effects of eating chocolate include internal bleeding, heart attacks, seizures, and death. Unsweetened varieties are even more dangerous for your dog because they contain a higher concentration of cocoa powder. In short, the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is for your dog.

 

  1. Raisins and grapes.

 

Never feed your dog raisins and grapes, not even a few. They are extremely toxic for dogs and can cause rapid kidney failure. Even a small amount can send your dog to the ER. There has been a study to review 180 reports, and the revelations have been startling that some dogs died even after they ate just a handful of raisins. It doesn't matter whether they eat them raw or get them from baked goodies like raisin cookies, both forms are lethal. Keep your breakfast cereals away from your dog if they contain these two ingredients. If your dog accidentally ate grapes or raisins, watch for alarming signs like vomiting, fatigue, and diarrhea. Excessive thirst and very little pee are signs of kidney failure, contact your vet immediately.

 

  1. Sweet candies, toothpaste, and chewing gum.

 

There is a reason why sweet candies, chewing gums, and toothpaste are under one heading. All of them contain sugary alcohol added to sweeten the taste. It's safe for us but toxic for dogs. Eating anything that contains it will cause a significant drop in the dog's blood sugar suddenly. You'll see symptoms within 30 minutes. They include seizures, vomiting, weakness, and even coma. All of this eventually causes death by damaging the liver. This means you cannot use human toothpaste to clean your dog's teeth.

 

  1. Caffeine.

 

Any beverage that contains a hint of caffeine is off the list of foods to give to your dog. Caffeine overstimulates a dog's nervous system and causes its heart to beat very fast. Within a few hours of drinking tea or coffee, your pooch might face symptoms like a lack of bladder control, excessive thirst, restlessness, and vomiting. In case he drank too much caffeine, he might face lung failure or an abnormal heart rhythm leading to death. There have been several deaths reported due to caffeine overdose and the minimum amount found is one milligram per kilogram of weight. On average, a cup of coffee contains 40 to 150 milligrams of caffeine.

 

  1. Alcohol.

 

Alcohol exists in things we wouldn't realize, such as mouthwash, perfume, paint, and cleaning products. Make sure they are out of your dog's reach. Even the slightest amount can be deadly. Mild symptoms include vomiting, lack of muscle coordination, and breathing. But in case your dog has had an excessive amount, it will result in seizures, lung failure, and ultimately death. Experts say eight milliliters of 100% alcohol per kilogram is enough to cause death in 12 to 24 hours after drinking it.

 

  1. Yeast dough.

 

Just like alcohol, dough containing yeast is off-limits for your dog. This is because yeast produces alcohol. It isn't just the increased alcohol in your dog's blood that raises concern, it will expand inside their tummy causing severe bloating. Your dog will find it difficult to breathe as the expanded dough will put pressure on surrounding organs as well. Make sure raw dough is always out of your dog’s reach.

 

  1. Salt.

 

Human food contains salt is not good for dogs. Eating too much can lead to serious conditions known as salt poisoning. It causes water deprivation in dogs and leads to symptoms like seizures, fever, tremors, and vomiting. Eventually, it causes death in severe cases if not checked on time. Even four grams of salt is toxic for dogs. This means your popcorn and pretzels are meant for you only. Do not give in to their cries instead give them a dog treat. Make sure your dog has fresh drinking water available any time.

 

  1. Onion and garlic.

 

Onion contains compounds that are harmful to dogs, they can damage their red blood cells. If they have enough onions, it will cause anemia, making them feel tired all the time. In severe cases, a blood transfusion will be needed to save them. Garlic is even more dangerous than onions as it contains strong compounds that are toxic to dogs. Your dog will become anemic, and his urine will turn dark red in color. A blood transfusion will be required to save him.

 

In conclusion, here is the full list of 9 foods that are toxic to your dog:

  1. Avocado.
  2. Chocolate.
  3. Raisins and grapes.
  4. Sweet candies, toothpaste, and chewing gum.
  5. Caffeine.
  6. Alcohol.
  7. Yeast dough.
  8. Salt.
  9. Onion and garlic.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published